Many ask why I make my own soap instead of just going to the store and simply picking some up! It’s simple…. It’s better for the environment. Most people do not know that some of our favorite shower gels contain ingredients that take 200 to 300 years to biodegrade, and we are not yet sure what effect the chemicals have on the environment exactly. The good new is if you make your own soap with all natural ingredients it’s 100% biodegradable.
Not only is it safer for the environment, but for your health as well! You get to choose what natural scents go into your product so you don’t have to worry about harmful fragrances in the store bought ones. Bye, bye harm chemicals, and hello to a milder and moisturizing alternative for your skin! With being able to buy the supplies you need to make your own soap in bulk you’ll save some money as well (which we all love)!
Let’s get started!
I’m going to show you how to make one of my personal favorites… COFFEE SCENTED SOAP!
What you’ll need:
- 8 ounces of soybean oil
- 4 ounces of coconut oil
- 4 ounces of olive oil
- 5 ounces of coffee (in place of water)
- 2 ounces of lye
- Safety goggles
- Safety gloves
- Small scale
- 2 large measuring cups
- Wooden spoon
- Wax paper
- Plastic container for a mold
Lye fumes can be hazardous! Work in a well-vented area!
- Make a cup of coffee and place it in the fridge (you want it cool before using)
- Pour 5 ounces of coffee into measuring cup
- Put on safety goggles and gloves
- Next, we have to set the scale. Place a measuring cup on the scale and set scale to zero. (This will ensure that you are just measuring the amount of liquid)
- Pour lye into the measuring cup until the scale read the correct amount. Do not breathe the fumes.
- Carefully pour the lye into the coffee. DO NOT POUR COFFEE INTO THE LYE.
- The lye-coffee mix with get hot. Set asides and let it cool, making sure it stays between 100- 110 degrees F.
- Stir soybean, coconut, and olive oil into a pan. Heat the oil mixture until it reaches the same temperature as the lye-coffee mix (100-110 degrees F).
- When they reach the same temperature stop heating the pan.
- Pour the lye mix into the oil mix very carefully.
- Stir the solution vigorously (making sure not to spill)
- Keep stirring until the mixture has the temperature of honey. If you are using a spoon this could take about an hour, if you are using a hand mixer this could happen within minutes. Make sure not to splatter.
- Pour solution into a plastic container and put a lid on it. Wrap it in a blanket or towel to keep it warm. Leave like this for 48 hours.
- Unwrap the blanket or towel and check the soap. If it is still soft let it sit for another day, but if hard peel away for the container and dump onto wax paper.
- Run a knife under hot water and dry it off.
- Cut soap into bars
- Leave the soap bars out for 3-4 weeks to cure. You can use them after a few days, but you get a better product if you are able to let them sit!
You are officially on our way to have a home full of 100% of biodegradable soaps! You can create whatever scents you want! I hope you enjoy my coffee scented one as much as I do! I these the best aroma in your bathroom!