Cleaning with essential oils is a definite game changer when it comes to green cleaning. There are tons of oils that have cleaning properties…but how can you start incorporating them into your home, and which ones are good to use? I’m going to list 8 oils that are my favorite and really work…not to mention they smell AMAZING.
What are essential oils?
Essential oils are a natural oil typically obtained by distillation and evaporation, having the characteristic fragrance of the plant or whatever other sources it is extracted from. Lavender, Cinnamon, and Lemon are VERY few examples of where the oils come from. To make these cleaners, I get distilled water and castile soap. Dilute the castile soap and add the oils! Usually, cleaning services Denver, house cleaning Pheonix and many other cleaning companies can’t use essential oils due to regulations.
Like anything, there are thousands of brands. How do you know what works? Here are a few tips:
- Look for 100% pure. No carrier oils added. Seed to Seal is best.
- Aura Cacia is the best and safest store bought brand.
- Test the oil by putting a drop on construction paper, if it evaporates it’s good.
- Store your oils in a dark place away from sunlight
My absolute favorite! Any citrus oils are wonderful. (Like orange, lime, tangerine and grapefruit.)
- Polishes chrome and helps remove soap scum stains
- Antiseptic, antimicrobial, and antibacterial
- Great for cutting grease and grime
- Gives an energizing feeling
- Powerful antibiotic and antiseptic…that makes it great for bathrooms and kitchens
- Stimulating and revitalizing (increases alertness and performance)
- Kills dust mites and repels spiders
Tea Tree oil
- Antibacterial, antiseptic, and antifungal
- Gets rid of insects when applied to the area regularly
- Works the best for mildew
- If you don’t like the smell, add some orange oil 🙂
- Great for killing dust mites, mold and mildew- like in the shower and shower curtain
- Pairs amazingly with spearmint
- Mix with baking soda to clean the toilet
- very antibacterial and antifungal and it can be used in the kitchen and bathroom.
- Antiseptic, antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal actions perfect for a kitchen cleaner
- Causes relaxation throughout the nervous system
- Deodorizing and insect repelling
Cinnamon and Clove Essential oil (I paired them together because they both are spices)
- Cinnamon and Clove are VERY antibacterial and antimicrobial together. Makes for a great all purpose
- Add orange essential oil and it creates an amazing smell perfect for the holidays-enhances mood
- Clove kills bacteria, perfect for toilets.
Cleaning with essential oils has drastically improved the health of my own home. Not only because all of these are antibacterial and antifungal, but when you inhale the oils (like when cleaning) the oil releases molecules and enters the body and then traveling to your lungs to make their way throughout your body. It also triggers the limbic system(emotional brain.) So, when I note the part about cleaning with essential oils and them affecting your mood it’s because the limbic system is directly connected to those parts of the brain that control heart rate, blood pressure, and stress levels.
Comparing this with the old school conventional cleaners, there is NO reason not to start cleaning with essential oils. Inhaling things like Lysol, bleach, ammonia, CLR etc.. cause longer term effects on the lungs and can burn nose receptors. It also causes you to become dizzy and can create dangerous chemical reactions if not handled the right way. Conventional cleaners are always harmful around children, whereas essential oils can actually improve air quality if you use them regularly.
Have you ever thought about using essential oils? If so, do some hefty research and make sure you get a trusted brand of oils. Make sure you know how to use them. And if you’re still skeptical, read here to learn more about how exactly they work for cleaning!
**Book Online, and leave the rest to us!