Magic Erasers have been around for years now. They’re a magical piece of foam that can tackle some weird, unexpected things.
I always wondered what, exactly, made up a magic eraser? So I did so research and uncovered some interesting things about them.
What are magic erasers and what are they originally used for?
Magic erasers are made from melamine foam. Melamine is usually used in insulating and soundproofing studios.
But one day, someone discovered it can also remove some pretty hardcore marks and stains. Magic erasers ARE abrasive sponges because when melamine resin cures into foam, its microstructure becomes almost as hard as glass — causing it to act like a SUPER-fine sandpaper on stains.
This abrasive foam loosens up dirt and grime, and the open microstructure of the foam sucks it in and traps it there…weird…but cool, right?! Who knew?
The only catch about magic erasers is that they are like pencil erasers. With more and more use, they break down and fall apart.
You get as much use out of them if you cut one in half, then cut each piece in 5ths, as you do with a full one…but that’s a waste.
Are Magic Erasers Safe?
- Ingredients in Magic Erasers have been safely and commonly used in a wide range of household cleaning products and are considered non-toxic.
- No ingredients are subject to any health-related labeling laws in North America or in Europe.
- Formaldehyde is not and never has been an ingredient in Magic Eraser, but one ingredient in Magic Eraser (formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite copolymer) contains the word “formaldehyde” in its chemical name. However, this ingredient is not formaldehyde and poses no health or safety risks
Where can these awesome “erasers” be used?
My most favorite way to use these bad boys is on scuff marks around the house like on white baseboards and walls.
Here are some other uses:
- Remove marker, pen, and crayons off the walls and furniture.
- Remove sticky labels from glass jars so you can reuse them
- Clean scuff marks and dirt residue from fiberglass tubs
- You can use it on leather to remove dirt, and pen marks from leather purses
- Shower soap scum (it helps when used with a good soap scum fighting product
- Remove coffee rings from a counter
- Remove scuff marks from white bottom shoes (this works AMAZINGLY) doing this keeps those tennis shoe bottoms nice and white.
- Use it as an eraser for a dry erase board. (It cleans all the marker residue SO well. It makes whiteboards look brand new again) Also, it removes permanent marker
- And one last one, polish tarnished silver!
If you’ve never cleaned with a magic eraser, go to a local Wal-Mart or find them online on Amazon! Our cleaners at Alpine Maids LOVE magic erasers for those stubborn, hard to clean tubs.